ITAS 12-19 Master thesis: Life Cycle Assessment of hybrid off-grid systems based on the Hybrid Off-Grid Techno-Economic Opti-mization Model (HOTEM)Bereich
Abschlussarbeiten (Bachelor- und Masterarbeiten)Tätigkeitsbeschreibung
A key element of providing an economically feasible off-grid system for electricity demand in remote areas is the techno-economic modeling of the system over its lifetime. Therefore, it is necessary for the planning phase to have a software tool for the best configuration and components sizing of the hybrid system. With such a tool different system scenarios and solutions for ending global energy poverty through off-grid hybrid renewable electricity systems (OHRES) can be evaluated. Here, also the environmental performance of such systems has to be co-considered to achieve a sustainable local energy supply. Life Cycle Assessment is a well-known and standardized approach to quantitatively method to carry out such assessments. The aim of the master thesis is to use the existing HOTEM model and to carry out an LCA of all relevant components of the hybrid off-grid systems. Special attention will be given to the hybrid storage battery system (Li-Ion battery + Lead-acid) used in the model and the existing systems. The planned master thesis is a cooperation of the Battery Technical Center (https://www.batterietechnikum.kit.edu/english/index.php) and ITAS.
Description of work:
Thesis work will be done as joint supervision between ITAS and BATEC.
The work location will be ITAS KIT campus south.
The task includes the following aspects:
- Development of a Life Cycle Inventory (LCI) for existing Off-Grid Hybrid Renewable Electricity Systems (OHRES)
- Use phase modeling with “Hybrid Off-Grid Techno-Economic Model (HOTEM)”
- Life Cycle impact analysis and interpretation of results
- Implimentation fo the LCA modelling module into HOTEM
- Documentation and critical reflection
Study field: industrial engineering, computer science, mathematics or similar disciplines
- Preferably a good understating of photovoltaics, small wind turbines andelectrical energy storage in the context of batteries.
- Interest in off-grid renewable energy system applications, especially home storage systems, and micro-grids.Experience in the field of Life Cycle Assessment
- Basic technical understanding of renewable energy systems, energy storage technologies, materials and the topic of sustainability
- Good knowledge of MS Office, especially Excel,
- Good Command in Matlab scripting is a plus
- Independent and result-oriented way of working
mehr Details Bewerben