Cross-cutting activity Knowledge transfer
- Project team:
Scherz, Constanze (Project leader)
Program-oriented funding (POF) of Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers
- Start date:
The mutual exchange of knowledge between research, politics, and society is a central task of technology assessment (TA). Researcher should make debates more objective and draw attention to the challenges and opportunities of scientific developments.
On the one hand, the aim is to strengthen the scientific maturity of citizens and to enable them – or their political representatives – to make decisions on the basis of the best available scientific evidences. On the other hand, it is about responsibly shaping technological innovation by considering the knowledge and experience of the people involved.
We are convinced that technology assessment requires the most diverse perspectives available. For a long time, we have therefore involved in our studies not only researchers from various disciplines, but also citizens and stakeholders from civil society, politics, and the economy. ITAS researchers develop specific integrative research approaches as well as methods for participatory formats and apply them in a variety of thematic contexts. The results, in turn, find their way into policy and societal advice and the scientific discourse.
ITAS activities in the field of knowledge transfer range from real-world lab research to topic-specific citizens’ dialogues and policy advice at national and European level to citizen science projects, formats of scientific communication, and the institute’s own forms of publication.
Real-world lab research:
- District Future – Urban Lab (since 2012 a pioneer in real-world lab research in Germany)
- Energy transformation in dialogue, and Climate protection - let’s dare it together! (participatory projects on energy transition and climate protection)
- Karlsruhe Transformation Center (Cooperation project to bundle activities of the real-world lab activities in Karlsruhe)
- Karlsruhe citizens’ dialogue “Autonome Technologien im europäischen Kontext” (Autonomous technologies in the European context – public dialogue process conducted on behalf of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research)
- Office of Technology Assessment at the German Bundestag (TAB) (has been providing advice to the members of parliament since 1990 on all matters related to scientific or technological progress)
- European Technology Assessment Group (ETAG) (network of European TA institutions coordinated by ITAS, provides advice to the panel for Scientific Technological Options Assessment (STOA) of the European Parliament)
Scientific communication and publication activities:
- technik.kontrovers (interactive thematic evenings on current topics at the interface of technology and society)
- TATuP – Journal for Technology Assessment in Theory and Practice (journal published by ITAS that presents research results for transdisciplinary stakeholders)
- ITAS researchers in the media (a selection)
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
Institute for Technology Assessment and Systems Analysis (ITAS)
P.O. Box 3640
Tel.: +49 721 608-26814