17th Society and Materials Conference (SAM17)
09.05.23 - 10.05.23
17th Society and Materials Conference
For more than 16 years, SAM conferences have been an international forum for exchanging on new methodologies, new concepts and new issues that connect materials and society from different perspectives, ranging from social to engineering sciences.
As such, they have been a laboratory for thought and for knowledge experiments, which have produced about 800 papers and introduced some of the best intuitions in these areas - which were then further developed elsewhere.
Issues and questions sitting at the heart of contemporary societal challenges and of expected paradigm shifts are also being covered as a kind of application lab.
Some special disciplines like Material Flow Analysis or Life Cycle Assessment, have been an important part of the meetings, as long as they were focusing on new directions and on innovative methodologies.
More scientific approaches, driven by social science, economics or materials science have also been presented. The focus was always on pluridisciplinarity and interdisciplinarity.
The 17th edition should reflect the same level of curiosity, inquisitiveness, intellectual boldness and innovative thinking as the previous ones!
- New developments in Life Cycle Assessment, Material Flow Analysis & other methodologies
- New social, economic, environmental and sustainability indicators
- Internalization of societal & environmental externalities into the economy
- Eco-design and Eco-innovation
- Circular economy and sustainable business models
- Responsible research and innovation on materials
- Governance, public & social engagement
- Gender issues, material culture and society
- Open science, citizen science, scientific citizenship and materials research
Call for Abstracts
Please find the full call for abstracts here.
Proposals for presentations should be sent as abstracts by email to sam.conference∂arcelormittal.com by January 31, 2023.
Authors will be notified of abstract approval and selection as an oral presentation or a poster. Presentations will be posted online. It is also possible to submit articles, which would be peer-reviewed to be published by Matériaux et Techniques (EDP Sciences).
To register, please fill in the online form here. There is no registration fee.
SAM Organizing Committee
Ayoung JO (Ms.)
Phone: +33 (0)3 87 70 43 31