- Project team:
- Funding: European Union, FP7
- Start date: 2014
- End date: 2017
- Project partners: De Montfort University (coordinator), UK; Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany; University of Central Lancashire, Cyprus; Fundacion Tecnalia Research & Innovation, Spain; University of Twente, The Netherlands; Associazione Italiana Per La Ricerca Industriale, Italy; Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany; Euclid Network, UK; Teknologian Tutkimuskeskus VTT, Finland
- Research group:
The "Responsible Industry" project will design an Exemplar Implementation Plan of RRI in Industry to demonstrate how industry can work productively together with societal actors and integrate principles and methodologies of Responsible Research and Innovation (RRI) into research and innovation processes. To achieve maximum impact where it is most needed, the implementation plan will focus on the grand challenge of health, demographic change and wellbeing. More specifically the project will focus on the role that research and innovation in ICT can play in addressing this challenge.
"Responsible Industry" will guide interactive discussions between leading industry partners, established RRI experts, policy advisors and civil society organizations to drive the research and innovation process with the principles of RRI in mind. In doing so, "Responsible-Industry" will achieve the following objectives:
- Synthesis of current discourses on RRI in the industrial context, based on an extensive literature review, 30 in-depth interviews with industry thought leaders, 5 bottom-up case studies and 2 Horizon Scanning reports.
- Investigation, through practical cases and in depth dialogue with stakeholders (industry, CSOs, policy makers and emerging global stakeholders), of processes, challenges and opportunities leading to responsible innovation along specific value chains of products and applications.
- International Delphi Study of RRI in industry involving 130-150 stakeholders and an international Multi-Stakeholder workshop.
- Development of a detailed implementation plan to be tested in at least 4 pilot projects.
- Reflection on the viability of the implementation plan, supported by least 15 industry-driven focus groups.
- Development of models of RRI in industry as a basis of specific recommendations to be disseminated to the various stakeholders through an Exemplar Implementation Plan of RRI in Industry.
Responsible governance in science and technology policy: Reflections from Europe, China and India.
2015. Technology in Society, 42, 81–92. doi:10.1016/j.techsoc.2015.03.006
Responsible research and innovation. Business-as-usual or opening-up the relationship between technology, science and society.
2015. 3rd Annual Workshop on the Changing Political Economy of Resarch and Innovation: Geographies, Value(s) and Transitions, San Diego, Calif., March 23-24, 2015
Different perspectives of responsible research and innovation. An outline.
2014. The Regulative Capacity of Knowledge Objects : Opening the Black Box of Knowledge Governance ; Interdisciplinary International Graduate Summer School, Donostia-San Sebastian, E, July 28 - August 1, 2014
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
Institute for Technology Assessment and Systems Analysis (ITAS)
P.O. Box 3640
Tel.: +49 30 40750492