Office of Technology Assessment at the German Bundestag (TAB)
ITAS is one of the leading European institutions that provide parliamentary policy advice. Since 1990, ITAS has been operating the Office of Technology Assessment at the German Bundestag (TAB). The Office of Technology Assessment at the German Bundestag is an independent scientific institution created with the objective of advising the German Bundestag and its committees on matters relating to research and technology. To this end, TAB focuses on studies related to research and technology and carries out technology assessment projects. In addition, TAB observes and analyzes important scientific and technological trends and the related societal developments. TAB's work is strictly oriented towards the information needs of the German Bundestag and its committees. To date, more than 160 studies have been carried out and the results have been published.
European Technology Assessment Group
As leading institution in a group of five European scientific institutes ITAS has been providing scientific advice for the European Parliament on social, economic, and environmental aspects of new technological and scientific developments since October 2005. In view of the growing importance of the European science and technology policy, the European Parliament decided to support the scientific basis of STOA's work (Scientific and Technological Options Assessment) by establishing a permanent co-operation with a group of scientific institutions with relevant expertise in the field of technology assessment. Leading TA institutions with many years of experience in policy advice belong to the European Technology Assessment Group (ETAG):
- the Institute of Technology Assessment and Systems Analysis, which operates the Office of Technology Assessment at the German Bundestag,
- the Danish Board of Technology,
- the Institute Society and Technology (IST) (Belgium),
- the Rathenau Institute (the Netherlands),
- the Institute of Technology Assessment at the Austrian Academy of Sciences,
- the Fraunhofer Institute for Systems and Innovation Research (ISI) (Germany),
- CAPCIT (Consell Assessor del Parlament sobre Ciència i Tecnologia) – the advising committee for science and technology at the Parliament of Catalonia,
- Technology Centre AV CR (Czech Republic).
Apart from its specific project work, ITAS is responsible for the co-ordination within the group, communication with the European Parliament, and co-operation with TA institutes outside the group which have expressed their willingness to support the work of ETAG for the European Parliament.