The conference directly ties in with the outcomes of the CultMedia Annual Conference on "Virtualization and Mediatization of Cultural Spaces. The New Media – Gains, Losses, Risks" which was very successfully held in Potsdam in September 2013 and whose proceedings will soon be published.
The multidisciplinary multinational cooperative alliance with members from eight countries was founded in Prague in September 2002 under the name CultMedia (International Network on Cultural Diversity and New Media). The objective of the network is to approach the findings of national research on Internet-related cultural phenomena from an international comparative perspective.
The conference focuses on the following three main topics:
- Formation of competence and education (including dealing with knowledge/non-knowledge; teaching/learning; competences related to new media);
- Social networks and community building (including social interaction among the participants; lifestyles; control);
- Cultures (of usage) related to new media (including communication cultures, practices/patterns of usage, privacy …).
During the conference we will
- analyze cultural and social (as well as economic) requirements and consequences of the mediatization of multifaceted fields of the lifeworld;
- compare the status of certain "information-societal" developments as well as availability and usage of new media in different countries of the EU;
- work out cognitive, ethical and institutional factors and/or conditions which are relevant for the further shaping of the information and knowledge society.
At the same time, this includes the attempt to illustrate the things achieved and not achieved while also referring to new developments and problems in order to be able to work out the things which (still) have to be achieved in a (more) systematic way.
In preparation for the meeting an international comparative survey is conducted by the "Netzknoten Potsdam". The online questionnaire is available on the following webpage: http://umfragen.wiso.uni-potsdam.de/support/cultmedia.htm